NOTE TO WINDOWS VISTA USERS: By default the TFTP Client is disabled and you SHALL NOT PROCEED UNLESS YOU HAVE ENABLED IT. To enable: click the Start orb and type the following into the Start Search field: "features" (Without the " " of course, but you have to tell some people). At the top of the Windows Start Bar, you will see "Programs and Features;" click on that. In the left pane of the new window, click Turn Windows Features on or off. Scroll down through the Windows Features until you see TFTP Client. Select the option box and press OK.
How To Flash Edit
METHOD FOR EOC, INTEL, AND POSSIBLY OTHER FLASH CHIPSEdit
First download the latest files from here. SVN Builds Choose the latest build and download the latest dd-wrt.v24-micro_generic.bin from the broadcom folder. You will also need vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin
1. Configure your local LAN ethernet address to 192.168.1.100 and connect your local ethernet to your WRT54GSv7 on one of the four switch ports. Do not use a wlan connection! (can someone clarify how to configure your lan ethernet address to 192.168.1.100?)
2. Disconnect the power cord from the WRT54GSv7.
3. Push the reset button while reconnecting the power cord and hold the button for about 20 seconds.
4. Open your browser and open http://192.168.1.1
5. Use the firmware upgrade dialogue to flash vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin.
6. After the dialogue about disconnecting the power cord is shown, disconnect the power cord and reconnect it.
7. Wait for about two minutes.
8. Again disconnect the power cord and reconnect it.
9. Enter "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24-micro_generic.bin" on your local Windows console and press enter. (If you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you need to first enable the tftp client)
(for linux, tftp 192.168.1.1; mode octet;put dd-wrt.v24-micro_generic.bin or tftp -v -m octet 192.168.1.1 -c put dd-wrt.v24-micro_generic.bin).
10. The file will now be transferred to your router and be flashed. After this is done, your router will boot automatically and you can reach your it at http://192.168.1.1.
ALTERNATE METHOD TO FLASH DD-WRT ON A WRT54GS v7 WITH AN INTEL FLASH CHIPEdit
I just loaded DD-WRT v24 RC7 on two of the WRT54GS v7 with an Intel flash chip. I used the latest vxworkskiller. Below are instructions. Intel chip says JS28F160, C3BD70, and A7397147. Router is dated December 2007. S/N starts with CGNC.
1. Manually configure your IP to 192.168.1.10.
2. Reset router to factory defaults.
3. Update firmware to vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin, the update will finish.
4. Watch the lights on the router. Wait until the Power light is solid, then unplug the router.
5. Plug the router back in.
6. Get "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT dd-wrt.v24-micro_generic.bin" ready in a command prompt and hit enter.
7. After the tftp is finished wait and watch the router lights.
7a. The Power light will eventually come one. 7b. Shortly after that the WLAN light will come on.
8. Try to load the web configuration page about 5 seconds later; you're done!
Another similar method to flash WRT54G v8 and WRT54GS v7.2 (possibly other 7.x)Edit
I've been doing something slightly different on WRT54G v8 and this WRT54GS v7, it hasn't failed me yet, below are the instructions. I have done this on a countless number of WRT54G v8s and just did it on a WRT54GS v7 and it worked just the same. There is no resetting in the middle of this process, just do exactly what it says below, no more and no less. My WRT54GS v7 has a Broadcom BCM5354KFBG CPU and an EON EN29LB160AB-70TCP flash chip and 16MB of Samsung RAM. The FCC ID is Q87-WRT54GSV72 which maybe means it's a v7.2? Serial number starts with CGNE.
[Addition: tiger12506 adds that he has succesfully performed this on two WRT54GS v7.2 with CGNE serial numbers. He felt that it was impossible, that he had bricked one of the routers at first. Messing around with JTAG cables taught him some things, but... be sure(!) Be absolutely sure that you have tftp set to binary or octel. If you leave tftp in ascii it will appear to work but the flash won't take.]
1. Use the web interface to reset the router to factory defaults.
2. Manually configure network interface to 192.168.1.10. (Any address from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 should work)
(In linux, this is sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10)
3. Use the web inferface to update the firmware to vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin.
4. tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin (Windows only)
[For linux users: use tftp. You may have to sudo apt-get install tftp or your equivalent. # tftp 192.168.1.1 tftp> mode binary tftp> put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin tftp> quit
5. As soon as that is finished do this: ping 192.168.1.1 /t (Windows only)
5a. This will time out repeatedly and then the router will respond between two and six times. 5b. The router will time out again a few times and then start responding to pings.
[At this point, tiger12506 had a little trouble, but after a long reset, and some short resets, more and more lights came on until finally the WLAN light came on and the router functioned normally running DD-WRT]
6. You're done, try to load 192.168.1.1.
Other Notes Edit
[DD-WRT v24 RC3] The WRT54GS v7.0 is now fully supported (if its not an intel chip - see important note below), but requires again a special flashing way, which is easier this time compared to the v5 and v6 vxworks killer.
All Chips are supported, just follow step by step procedure at:
WARNING: There are at least two types of flash chips that are used on the v7 router. Using this method with an INTEL-type flash chip will brick your router. There is not currently a solution for using vxworkskiller with the intel-chip v7 routers.
See also the relevant forum post
I just had found this link --> http://blog.rim3y.net/zero/?p=942
This procedure worked easy and great, the 1st bin file I installed with the admin. options in the Linksys control panel (the upload went about half way then tryed to reboot (then bricked my WRT54GS v7), following the procedure from the above mentioned site using this command "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin" from the location of the bin file, worked fine had to HIT enter 2 times to excecute the command to install the 2nd bin file, now my WRT54GS v7 has so many features I need to find a good post for some tweak settings.